The Historic Centre of Siena is a World Heritage Site in Italy defined by the UNESCO in 1995 and definitely a recommended cultural sightseeing location.
It is on position 199 (141) in our monthly survey..
"Siena is the embodiment of a medieval city. Its inhabitants pursued their rivalry with Florence right into the area of urban planning. Throughout the centuries, they preserved their city's Gothic appearance, acquired between the 12th and 15th centuries. During this period the work of Duccio, the Lorenzetti brothers and Simone Martini was to influence the course of Italian and, more broadly, European art. The whole city of Siena, built around the Piazza del Campo, was devised as a work of art that blends into the surrounding landscape."
Copyright © 1992 2014 UNESCO/World Heritage Centre. All rights reserved."
- Pictures from flickr about Historic Centre of Siena
- Facebook Pages about Historic Centre of Siena
- Google Search for News about Historic Centre of Siena
- Google Search for Pictures about Historic Centre of Siena
- Qwant Search for web, social items and news about Historic Centre of Siena
- Google Plus about Historic Centre of Siena
- Google Maps interactive (+StreetView) about Historic Centre of Siena