The Aksum is a World Heritage Site in Ethiopia defined by the UNESCO in 1980 and definitely a recommended cultural sightseeing location.
It is on position 55 (63, 154) in our monthly survey..
"The ruins of the ancient city of Aksum are found close to Ethiopia's northern border. They mark the location of the heart of ancient Ethiopia, when the Kingdom of Aksum was the most powerful state between the Eastern Roman Empire and Persia. The massive ruins, dating from between the 1st and the 13th century A.D., include monolithic obelisks, giant stelae, royal tombs and the ruins of ancient castles. Long after its political decline in the 10th century, Ethiopian emperors continued to be crowned in Aksum."
Copyright © 1992 2014 UNESCO/World Heritage Centre. All rights reserved."
- Pictures from flickr about Aksum
- Facebook Pages about Aksum
- Google Search for News about Aksum
- Google Search for Pictures about Aksum
- Qwant Search for web, social items and news about Aksum
- Google Plus about Aksum
- Google Maps interactive (+StreetView) about Aksum
List of books: Aksum