The Masada is a World Heritage Site in Israel defined by the UNESCO in 2001 and definitely a recommended cultural sightseeing location.
It is on position 198 () in our monthly survey..
"Masada is a rugged natural fortress, of majestic beauty, in the Judaean Desert overlooking the Dead Sea. It is a symbol of the ancient kingdom of Israel, its violent destruction and the last stand of Jewish patriots in the face of the Roman army, in 73 A.D. It was built as a palace complex, in the classic style of the early Roman Empire, by Herod the Great, King of Judaea, (reigned 37 – 4 B.C.). The camps, fortifications and attack ramp that encircle the monument constitute the most complete Roman siege works surviving to the present day."
Copyright © 1992 2014 UNESCO/World Heritage Centre. All rights reserved."
- Pictures from flickr about Masada
- Facebook Pages about Masada
- Google Search for News about Masada
- Google Search for Pictures about Masada
- Qwant Search for web, social items and news about Masada
- Google Plus about Masada
- Google Maps interactive (+StreetView) about Masada
List of books: Masada