The Route of Santiago de Compostela is a World Heritage Site in Spain defined by the UNESCO in 1993 and definitely a recommended cultural sightseeing location.
It is on position 204 (159, 228) in our monthly survey..
"Santiago de Compostela was proclaimed the first European Cultural itinerary by the Council of Europe in 1987. This route from the French-Spanish border was – and still is – taken by pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela. Some 1,800 buildings along the route, both religious and secular, are of great historic interest. The route played a fundamental role in encouraging cultural exchanges between the Iberian peninsula and the rest of Europe during the Middle Ages. It remains a testimony to the power of the Christian faith among people of all social classes and from all over Europe."
Copyright © 1992 2014 UNESCO/World Heritage Centre. All rights reserved."
- Pictures from flickr about Route of Santiago de Compostela
- Google Search for News about Route of Santiago de Compostela
- Google Search for Pictures about Route of Santiago de Compostela
- Qwant Search for web, social items and news about Route of Santiago de Compostela
- Google Maps interactive (+StreetView) about Route of Santiago de Compostela